- 1 Introduction
- 2 Thien Duong Cave Location
- 3 Thien Duong Cave History
- 4 Thien Duong Cave Unique Features
- 5 What To Do When Visiting Thien Duong Cave?
- 6 Thien Duong Cave Travel Guide
- 7 Conclusion
Thien Duong Cave, or Paradise Cave, is one of the most inviting Vietnamese attractions every summer. Indeed, its fairytale-like beauty mixed with refreshing biodiversity has appealed to millions of tourists annually. It’s not too much to say Thien Duong Cave is like a heavenly “escape” from the busy society out there.
Found in 2005, Paradise Cave Vietnam was regarded as the largest and longest cave in Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park, prior to the discovery of Son Doong Cave. Some of the most spectacular stalactites and stalagmites in the park are found within this paradise.
To give you a better idea about this magical cave, Phong Nha Private Car will go into detail about the Paradise Cave right below!
Thien Duong Cave Location
Paradise Cave location is within the ecosystem of Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park in Quang Binh Province. Thien Duong Cave is situated in Son Trach Commune, Bo Trach District, 16 kilometers along the western branch of the Ho Chi Minh Trail.
As it is nestled in the vast jungle of Phong Nha, Paradise Cave has an epic beauty of nature with thousands-year-old formations and pure skylights. Its magnificence is the reason why myriad tourists overcome difficult and remote jungle paths to visit this cave. Nowadays, it’s still a charm to many.
If you want to visit this miraculous cave, we provide Phong Nha transfers:
- Dong Hoi Airport/Station to Phong Nha by private car – 17 USD/sedan
- Da Nang to Phong Nha by private car – 143 USD/sedan
- Hoi An to Phong Nha private car – 147 USD/sedan
- Hanoi to Phong Nha by private car – 260 USD/sedan
Some interesting Paradise Cave tours and other attractions in Phong Nha (including private car transfers):
- Paradise Cave Day Tour From Hue – 46 USD/person
- Paradise Cave And Phong Nha Cave Tour – 56 USD/person
- Tra Ang Cave And Paradise Cave – 63 USD/person
- Paradise Cave And Dark Cave Tour 1 Day – 65 USD/person
Thien Duong Cave History
The formations of Paradise Cave have started for thousands of years. However, not until 2005 was the cave discovered by a local man on his way exploring the jungle. After his discovery, in the same year, the British Cave Research Association‘s explorers revealed the first 5 kilometers of this cave to the world.
Later on, in 2010, the association explored the whole 31,4 kilometers and announced this achievement to the world. At that time, at 31 kilometers, Thien Duong Cave surpassed the Phong Nha Cave‘s impressive length, previously considered the longest cave in this national park.
They also found that its height can reach up to 100 meters and 150 meters wide. Besides, its limestone formation was more spectacular than that of Phong Nha Cave. The British cave explorers were so impressed by the beauty of the rock formation inside the cave that they named it Paradise Cave, or Động Thiên Đường in Vietnamese.
After that, Truong Thinh Group, a big corporation in Vietnam, started to build roads and facilities for tourism activities in this cave. On 3 September 2010, Thien Duong Cave was officially opened up to tourists with a 1.1-kilometer path to see the formations.
Thien Duong Cave Unique Features
Compared to other caves in the Phong Nha-Ke Bang cave system, what makes Paradise Cave stand out?
- Paradise Cave Vietnam is the longest dry cave in Asia.
- Its 1000-meter wooden staircase system is the longest cave corridor in Asia. Along your 1-kilometer trip inside this cave is a good-quality wooden stair system, giving you a safe trip without arduous climbs.
- Last but not least, it has the most beautiful stalactites and stalagmites in Asia. Once you see it in person, you can’t avoid a surprise with its miraculous, stunning, and mysterious formations.
What To Do When Visiting Thien Duong Cave?
Conquer Over 500 Stone Steps
Before stepping inside the Paradise Cave, you will overcome 524 stone steps leading to the cave’s entrance. This stone staircase runs around the mountain’s slope, opening the gate to paradise. After the British explorers found 31 kilometers of Thien Duong Cave, this staircase was built for tourists to get easier access to the cave.
If you have good health, you shouldn’t miss this path. Exposed to the Phong Nha nature, the majestic views will treat your eyes. The sky looks closer and the atmosphere feels fresher. You might get a bit tired during the trek, but the landscape is totally worth it.
Admire Impressive Structure
Thien Duong Cave Vietnam has been naturally formed by ancient karst geography dating back from 350-400 years ago. With such a great formation, it now becomes a grand and vivid creation, enchanting many adventurous souls.
Paradise Cave has a small entrance with a gentle slope, compared to other caves. After the entrance, you reach the cave’s 15-meter base surrounded by many stalactites. Next, you enter the main cave, whose width is up to 200 meters, with a gigantic dome.
Watch Diverse Formations
Seeing the colorful formations in various shapes is the best highlight for tourists to Thien Duong Cave. Their splendid and shimmering beauty never fails to astonish visitors. Nature has used all its creativity to meticulously form these stalactites and stalagmites, giving them novel appearance.
Their unique shapes and angles reflect sparkling lights all over the cave, bewitching every visitor. Densely spreading around the cave’s dome, the stalactites promise to give you relaxing and pleasant moments while enjoying its mysterious atmosphere.
Walk Along 1000-Meter Wooden Corridor
As mentioned, your journey inside Paradise Cave sticks to a 1000-meter wooden corridor. Its stairs actively facilitate your sightseeing inside this heavenly land. Apart from easier access to the main cave, it gives you a perfect perspective of the thousands-year-old stalactites. Those diverse shapes come closer to you, showing all its beauty.
Along this wooden staircase, you will have a more complete and perfect experience of Thien Duong Cave. After the 1-kilometer trip, you can start a whole new journey deeper inside this 31,4-kilometer creation.
Discover Underground Stream
Normal tours to Paradise Cave will end at the 1-kilometer corridor. Yet, for travelers who seek for riskier journey, a 7-kilometer adventure tour inside Paradise Cave is open to them. You will leave the pleasant corridor to enter a new land of darkness and grandeur.
The first attraction on that journey is the underground stream area, where you need to take a kayak to go through it. An expert guide can take you along the pure stream reflecting the gorgeous lights and stunning formations around it.
Slowly floating on gentle water while seeing exotic speleothems in such an infinitely quiet place will give you an extremely thrilling experience. Imagine you are away from all the hustle of society out there and engaging in otherworldly land. It might intimidate you but also put you at perfect ease.
Explore Cave Skylight
The utmost reward of the 7-kilometer journey is a natural skylight, the intersection between sky and earth. An array of light brightly illuminates right down a big hole above the cave, like heaven-sent scenery.
It’s this skylight that takes in all the refreshing air of nature and blows inside the cave. It creates an endless spring season for Paradise Cave. Thanks to the skylight, you will always feel the cool atmosphere once you enter the cave. If you notice, you can find this air flow right when you stand in front of the cave entrance.
Thien Duong Cave Travel Guide
Paradise Cave Entrance Fee
- For adults and children above 1.3 meters: 250.000 VND (about 12 USD)
- For children from 1.1-1.3 meters: 125.000 VND (about 6 USD)
- For children under 1.1 meters: free of charge
Besides, they provide electric buggy car transfer from the ticket counter to the cave’s foot, where you start a 570-meter steep trek or a 524-step climb. You can choose to walk 1 kilometer through this path or buy a buggy car ticket at these prices:
|4-seat electric car||one-way||60.000 VND (~3 USD)|
|round (two-way)||100.000 VND (~5 USD)|
|6-seat tram||one-way||90.000 VND (~4.5 USD)|
|round (two-way)||150.000 VND (~7 USD)|
|8-seat tram||one-way||200.000 VND (~9 USD)|
|round (two-way)||350.000 VND (~15 USD)|
Best Time To Visit
Quang Binh Province, where Thien Duong Cave is located, is in the northern-central part of Vietnam. Thus, it is heavily influenced by the tropical monsoon climate, which divides its weather into separate dry and wet seasons. Its dry season starts in April and ends in late August.
We highly recommend you visit Paradise Cave during this time since the weather is sunny and dry, suitable for outdoor trips like visiting Paradise Cave Vietnam.
What To Prepare?
- If you want to take nice photos in the cave, you should bring a device (camera or smartphone) with a flashlight. Although there is some lighting inside the cave, it is not enough to get bright photos.
- You will need some light snacks or water to avoid thirst and lack of energy during the visit. As a part of the natural ecosystem in the national park, snack vendors inside the cave are prohibited. You can buy them at the store outside the cave before entering it.
- Do not forget to bring money and ID to buy tickets.
Other Notes For Visitors
- Watch out for your moves, especially on wet days, as the path to Paradise Cave is quite slippery and steep. You’d better bring along a torch to see the steps more clearly, avoiding missing a step.
- If you accompany small kids, keep an eye on them. You should pick them up or hold their hands during the trip.
- Remember to keep the place clean. Do not litter.
- Consider your health carefully before deciding to visit the cave as it is a deep and dark space. If you can not stay in such an environment for a couple of hours, you’d better not join this trip for your own safety.
- We recommend you wear comfortable clothes and sports shoes, or any footwear with good friction and suitable for trekking. Besides, you should avoid cumbersome clothes and slippery sandals, flip-flops, or high heels.
You have read about Thien Duong Cave – Paradise Cave in Phong Nha-Ke Bang, Quang Binh Province. We hope that our selectively collected information is helpful for your trip to Quang Binh and Vietnam. Thanks for reading!